At Smith Lund Mills we understand that the subject of funeral and cemetery needs is a difficult one. Yet we all know that death is an experience that every family will eventually have to face.
Unfortunately, some families will be unprepared for how difficult this event really is. The sheer number of decisions that need to be made, combined with the costs regarding end-of-life care and final disposition, can intensify family dynamics and cause additional strife.
Time and time again, we see the relief on the faces of loved ones when a family member has all of their funeral and cemetery choices pre-arranged.
Pre-planning truly is a lasting gift you can give to those you care about most. At Smith Lund Mills we have been serving families of Lane and Douglas counties for more than 100 years. We understand how important these details are to you, and we will help you pre-plan without pressure. Our goal is to provide options to our customers, and then let them choose what is best for their family.
We are the people you know, and the people you trust.
- Marc Lund,
Since the subject of funerals is not easy to discuss, we have knowledgeable pre-planning consultants to assist you in all aspects of your arrangements.
A few reasons why you and your family will benefit from pre-planning:
- Pre-planning makes matters easier for those you love. Whether imminent or untimely, a death creates a time of sadness and stress for survivors. If arrangements have been made in advance, fewer decisions will need to be made by those who are grieving.
- Pre-planning allows you to provide guidance to your family after your death. Maybe you want a simple cremation and celebration of life, or perhaps you have a song or slideshow you would like played at your funeral. With pre-planning, you get to choose how elaborate and detailed - or how simple - you want your arrangements to be. By discussing plans in advance, you can take as much time as is necessary to make the best decisions about what type of celebration you prefer.
- Pre-planning allows you to control potential expenses of a funeral and disposition.
Pre-paying for funeral arrangement alleviates financial strain on survivors asked to summon resources on short notice. In addition, pre-paying can guarantee the price of the funeral - whether in the short or long term - at today's prices. With Smith Lund Mills, your money will be placed in either a special interest-bearing funeral trust account, or with an insurance policy written through the funeral chapel. There are a number of payment options, some of which will protect your funds from counting as an asset to programs such as Medicaid, and will ensure your wishes are carried out.
- Pre-planning provides an advanced opportunity to assemble life data. At time of death, a great deal of biographical information about you or a loved one will be needed by your family. This information is essential for filing a death certificate, writing an obituary and personalizing a memorial service. More complete and correct information can be provided to survivors if you plan ahead.
Those who pre-plan can be assured that not only will their personal wishes be fulfilled, but unnecessary difficulties will also be avoided for surviving family members. Pre-planning is a gift to those you love.
Funeral Chapel considerations
For most families, funeral chapel considerations start with selecting an establishment you know and trust. When pre-planning, it is important to know that the funeral establishment will still be there when it is time to fulfill the contract. Smith Lund Mills has been serving families for more than 100 years, and we are positioned to be serving the community for the next 100 years.
After selecting a funeral chapel, families must consider the choice of burial or cremation. This is an extremely personal decision, but it is commonly made with the interests of the family in mind. Some important questions to ask are:
- What has been the family tradition?
- What will help the family feel they have honored their loved one?
When cremation is chosen, Smith Lund Mills Crematory is on-site, assuring that your loved one never leaves our professional care. Which every route you choose, both burial and cremation can be chosen with service options. Some things to consider:
- Are family and friends local, or will they be traveling some distance to be together?
- How will they recognize the passing of a life lived? A celebration of life can take many forms. Our pre-planning staff can help you with various options.
- Will there be a time to say goodbye? This is often referred to as a 'visitation.'
- Will there be a reception after the service? This can be at a home, a public place or in our facility following a funeral, memorial or celebration of life.
Cemetery & Memorial Options
"Weeks after my brother died, I knew I could still come to the cemetery and grieve without anyone thinking I was strange. After all, everything was supposed to be back to normal now."
Whether a loved one is buried next to generations of family members, or their cremated remains are scattered on a mountainside, Fir Grove Cemetery has options available for permanent memorialization.
Cemeteries provide a place to remember a loved one, welcoming visitors in whatever emotional state they happen to be - whether it is recalling fond memories, laughing or still grieving with tears. They allow people to be remembered for future generations.
Regardless of choosing burial or cremation, much can be done to customize a lasting tribute so that a life story is told. Fir Grove Cemetery offers in-ground burial options for caskets and urns, as well as bronze memorial plaques on the Book of Remembrance and above-ground urn placement in a columbarium - an outdoor niche wall with individual compartments for urns. We also have columbarium options and memorial plaques options available in Creswell Pioneer Cemetery and Drain City Cemetery.
By making these decisions in advance, everyone can feel satisfied that the appropriate selections have been made. Also, once paid, the price does not increase.
Value of Our Services
Knowing that your family will be taken care of during a highly emotional time of life is well worth planning ahead. Our full-service facilities allow us to care for you and your family throughout the entire process, from the initial planning to the final goodbye.
In addition to the benefits of pre-planning with Smith Lund Mills, our highly experienced and respectful staff will treat your family as their own. Our goal is to guarantee the best possible service at the best value.
For additional preplanning information with no obligation please email us at or call 541-942-0185.
You can also complete our Pre-plan Form online or start making pre-arrangements in advance of need online.
Very nice people, very professional, very efficient & organized."